We decided to give the NE Buttress Couloir a shot instead. This route is something of an enigma. Seldom done, with little said about it in Beckey. It's always been on my list, partly out of a sense of vengeance. It almost killed me once. I've learned a lot since then. I wanted to see how it would feel now, and what it was like in a more reasonable season. We resolved to start early.
We started late: 06:45. Snow conditions near the lake were miserable. We endured a demoralizing slog across the lake and up the moraine though breakable shin-deep crust, at which point things improved radically. Above that point we enjoyed perfect toe-kicking styrofoam to the entrance of the couloir. There was no bergschrund. Only a steepening debris fan that welcomed us in. With two ice tools the lower 2/3 was straightforward 50 degree snow with only one narrow steeper section. Conditions were excellent, and we rapidly cramponed up to within ~500 vertical feet of the top. Here the main couloir splits to the left and right: 60-70 degree snow flutings or knarly mixed climbing, respectively. Both capped with gigantic 20' cornices. Pick your poison. I climbed through some steeper, softer snow to establish our first belay and lowered a rope to Grace. We opted for the left hand variation, sticking to the right-hand rock walls for shelter form possible ice-fall.
p1 consisted of 60-70 degree softish snow (not as good as below) with one #2 camalot and a dead-maned picket for pro. Ends in a thank-god moat/cave big enough for a bivy with good cracks for anchors. 70 m (short section of simul-climbing).
p2 from the cave we climbed a steep narrow mixed corner for several meters (good protection). More steep snow led to a good rock belay just below the cornice cap. Not as well sheltered from objective hazard as could be wished. 55 m
p2.1 I attempted to tunnel through the cornice. 50 degree slopes lead up and under it's overhanging curl. I chose the left hand side where the cornice appeared thinnest, and well away from Grace at the belay. A dead-maned picket just below provided security while I dug. I quickly encountered bulletproof (or perhaps shovel-proof!) snow-ice. After an hour's fruitless work I decided to call it quits. Pulled the picket. Down-climbed. 0 m
p3 Traversing below and left of the belay I found a traverse across a sharp snow-arete into a narrow subsidiary gully. (50-60 degree slopes with mostly good snow.) Sunlight breaking though the cornice-cap above suggested an exit passage! The gully steepened and narrowed into a mixed chimney (low 5th?) culminating in a vertical slot between the cornice wall and a blank rock slab. Progress up the last 20-30 feet was made by chimneying between the two with solid, though psychologically difficult, steps kicked into the vertical /overhanging cornice wall. Good pro from stoppers, small angles, and knifeblades. 100 m.
Sunshine and a light to moderate wind greeted us above the cornice. From there it was in easy amble to the summit perhaps 150' higher and 1/4 mile distant. We celebrated our victory. Snapped a few photos. Packed up. Glissaded all the way back to colchuck lake. 12 hour day, camp-camp. Those last three pitches really ate time.
Sunshine and a light to moderate wind greeted us above the cornice. From there it was in easy amble to the summit perhaps 150' higher and 1/4 mile distant. We celebrated our victory. Snapped a few photos. Packed up. Glissaded all the way back to colchuck lake. 12 hour day, camp-camp. Those last three pitches really ate time.
This was some of the best climbing I've done in the cascades. Fun 50 degree snow soloing followed by three full-value pitches of real climbing. Difficult, but never truly desperate. Good protection where it was wanted most. I can't say enough good things about having a solid selection of pins. The only piece of gear I didn't use on this climb was an ice screw. A five-star route in the conditions we encountered.
Only two things we should have done differently: got an earlier start, and explored more thoroughly before attempting the cornice tunnel.
All in all, an awesome trip! Although I led everything, Grace endured some long cold belay sessions while I was excavating pro, shaking out frozen hands, or psyching myself up for a committing move. Not to mention hammering out all the pins I placed. I'm incredibly fortunate to have married such a mentally and physically strong woman!
Gear: pickets (2), camalots from #0.5-#2, assorted knifeblade and angle pitons (6), stoppers (~10), tricams (3), ice screws (3), half-ropes.
Only two things we should have done differently: got an earlier start, and explored more thoroughly before attempting the cornice tunnel.
All in all, an awesome trip! Although I led everything, Grace endured some long cold belay sessions while I was excavating pro, shaking out frozen hands, or psyching myself up for a committing move. Not to mention hammering out all the pins I placed. I'm incredibly fortunate to have married such a mentally and physically strong woman!
Gear: pickets (2), camalots from #0.5-#2, assorted knifeblade and angle pitons (6), stoppers (~10), tricams (3), ice screws (3), half-ropes.