We got a lazy 09:00 start from Denver, and headed up to Hidden Falls in RMNP. We weren't sure whether to expect more or less traffic on the climb on Christmas Eve. I'm still not sure we know the answer. There were at least five parties there at one time or another, but this is a popular climb under any circumstances. 90' of fat WI4 ish climbing less than two miles from the trail-head. With so many people looking to get on the climb, we decided to push on up the valley in search of Ouzel Falls. This proved fruitless, but it was a beautiful few hours of walking in solitude, before returning to climb with the multitude.
When we got back, there were still several parties top-rope-gang-climbing the main flow. There were three ropes on it (a single pillar!) at one point, but we never saw anyone else lead it. So I lead a small secondary flow off to climbers left to kill time. It was a nice little piece of easy ice leading into a cave. The crux was exiting the cave in a beached-whale-move onto a snowy ledge where a big tree stump provided a nice anchor.
Finally the main flow was free, and I got to lead! Very fun climbing, with nicely spaced ledges for placing screws. It was a bit hacked out, and therefore easier than the nominal WI-4 rating, but a blast nevertheless. I set up a top rope on the trees above, and by the time I'd finished we had the place to ourselves. Grace and I each took a couple more laps before it got dark.
A fantastic way to celebrate the holiday!
