8/9-10/2010
After our Serra Three experience, Jim and I were sort of soured on the ice routes we had wanted to attempt. This wasn't so much due to the rockfall event, as our experience with the quality of the ice, particularly later in the day. We had no desire to repeat our V-threading-from-marbles experience. On top of that, the weather continued to be undecided. So, we hatched a plan to fly out a few days early, and climb the NW ridge of Mt. Sir Donald on the way home.
We still had too much stuff at our Dragonback camp to carry it all down to the Plummer Hut at once. So we decided to drag what wouldn't fit in our packs. I had brought a North Face duffel which we figured would be tough enough and waterproof enough to act as a sled. This didn't work as well as I had hoped, but was nevertheless better than I had feared. Painful, but still less work than making two trips.
We killed time at the hut experimenting with stove/pot efficiency and playing another round of Peak Experience. We took in the next morning's sunrise from Photo Point, and Mike King swooped in a few hours later to collect us.