go to smugmug

2010-04-27

Lundin Peak Traverse

Brian and I climbed Lundin Peak via the west ridge on Sunday. There was lots of soft snow on the rock, which made the whole day a little more sporty then either of us had really expected: Snow to 50 degrees with plenty of snow-covered 4th and low 5th class climbing. We climbed the west ridge in about three simul-pitches. I led us too far out on the north side of the crest and, after an abortive attempt to climb some very sketchy ground back to the crest, we descended about a hundred feet, and were able to circumvent the difficulty. Once back on the crest it was an easy scramble to the summit, with one more short, exposed, and slippery walk down the east ridge to the "memorial bolts" pitch, where we made one rappel from a stout tree.

The rock on the west ridge is some of the best I've seen in the Snoqualmie area. It was actually good, not merely "good enough". I think this could well be a classic outing to rival The Tooth in summer, and it makes a nice little winter-conditions challenge! Thanks to Brian for suggesting it, and as usual, being an excellent partner!